Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Why Am I Here?

Why am I here?  That is a good question.  This class is not one of my requirements.  In fact, I am pretty much done with all of my requirements, which is part of the reason I am here.  I argued with myself for a good month about how many classes I should take this semester.  There were pros and cons to both sides.  The pros for remaining full time won, so here I am.  But I only needed two more classes to complete both of my majors – one class for my education major, and one class for my Spanish major.  So what to fill the rest of my schedule with?  I poured over the classes available:  Fun classes, useful classes, interesting classes.  I've spent the past four years working my butt off here at SCSU – I wanted any class I took to be something that would enhance my education – something I could use in the future.  

So I guess “useful” was my main focus – I came across EDU 106 in the list of Education classes.  Technology was definitely a class I could use.  I wouldn't say I’m computer illiterate, but I wouldn't say I’m fluent in technology either.  And as a teacher, I need to stay on top of the technology that is available – especially because it is constantly changing.  I want technology to be an asset to my classroom, not something I dread having in it or decline to have in my classroom because I don’t understand it. And anyway - who says "useful" can't be fun.  For me, any class related to my Education major is fun because it contributes to my passion.  I want to be a teacher that can change with the times - not one that gets stuck in the past.  I've seen how that can turn out.  This class is definitely more work than I thought it would be, but it is also definitely worth my time and effort.  


No comments:

Post a Comment