Translate

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Experiences in Technology

My Experiences
The assignments for module 3 have really opened up a world of possibilities for me.  At first, I felt extremely overwhelmed as I read through the assignments we would have to complete this module.  But I took a deep breath and began, taking on the assignments one by one.  They really were a lot easier than they seemed like they were going to be, and I am actually enjoying the creating part, playing with the html on each page and finding new links, pics, and info to plug in.  It truly appeals to my artistic side – a side of me that often gets pushed to the back burner as I plow through my school work.  Making an annotation remix of the “identifying strategies” videos was way more fun than writing a paper about them.  And analyzing actual hoax websites was a great hands-on activity that could definitely be used in the school environment (and even with my own kids) to spark conversations about what makes a source credible vs. what makes a source not credible.  

See my blog on judging credibility for more info:  
http://shawneeedu106.blogspot.com/2014/10/how-do-we-judge-credibility.html


Extending My Experiences to the Classroom
Having students hack a website's credibility would be a great way to show students how easy it is to create your own hoax website – it would be an authentic learning experience that the students could connect with.  Sometimes students get the Charlie brown syndrome – when adults talk, all they hear is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04Sometimes you just can’t tell kids how it is – you have to let them see for themselves – and these exercises are a great way to do that.  

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You summed it up with the appeal to artist in you. We can no longer separate the tool from the text. Learning design means learning code. You need to know how images and words work. Not just in the sense of stringing them together but also the visual elements and how this affects meaning.

    ReplyDelete