Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Online Research and Me: Ready - Go!

Our readings this week made me think about my own experiences with online research and comprehension.  In chapter 15 from Best Practices in Teaching the New Literacies of Online Research and Comprehension, the authors state that “the ability to read and use online information effectively to solve problems defines success in both life and work” ((Leu, D.J., et al, 346).  This sentence gave me an immediate flash back of an incident at work:

I had just arrived at work – the office of a company that makes labels for electronics, medical devices, etc.  Logging into my computer, I could feel the eyes of the girl who sat next to me watching my every move even as she squinted intently at her screen, scrolled, and clicked.  “You’d better hurry up and look at your email!”  she laughed.  My heart started beating.  “Why?”  I wondered out loud as I threw my purse in the drawer and began clicking.  Our boss had sent us an email:
A new customer needs the material in the attached drawing and we don’t carry it.  Our sales guy doesn't know what the material is or where to find it.  Your task is to find out what it is and who carries it. Whoever finds the material first will get lunch.  Ready - Go!
She gave us a price range the customer needed along with the drawing of the part. 

“I just started” my co-worker said gleefully as she picked up the phone.  “I already found one company and maybe another.”  I ignored her as I began my search.  I knew that a lot more than lunch was on the line.  A reputation in the company as someone who could problem-solve not only effectively, but also efficiently was something that could carry you far here.  It could be the difference between keeping your job or losing it when things got slow there. 

Disoriented by the whir of my thoughts – all a jumble from being thrown into this task without even having had my coffee – I scrolled through the info that came up in answer to my search, trying to quickly evaluate it to make up for the few minutes head-start my coworker had.  It took me longer than her to locate sources – longer to evaluate the incoming info, which means she was able to communicate her findings first.  I have the basic literacy skills necessary to complete the task, but they were less practiced than hers where – perhaps out of date and therefore not fully adapted to the new technologies that had evolved since I first learned my skills. 


Of course, I use my computer all the time for my class assignments, but that’s about it.  My coworker uses her technology all the time for everything; she is constantly creating and participating.  I brush off that part – who has time for that when you attend classes full time and are a full time mother?  But the truth is, it wouldn't take so much of my time up if I would practice it and interact with it on a consistent basis.  Then I would be there for the evolving process – I would be there to learn the changes as they come along and they wouldn't be so intimidating – or time consuming for that matter.  It is worth the time – my success depends on it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment