Translate

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Gender Remixed

Intro - Using the Remixer
Using the Gendered Lego Advertising Remixer, I mashed up some "girl" and "boy" Lego commercials; the remixer used the video from one set marketed to girls along with the audio from another set marketed to boys - or vice versa.  This technique underlined the different marketing techniques used for girls vs those used for boys.  See the link below if you want to see for yourself:
http://www.genderremixer.com/lego/#

The results were very interesting.  Honestly, I never really noticed the differences before using this remixer.  The boy commercials, in general, were geared toward things traditionally masculine: adventures and violence, using adventurous music with dark or monochromatic colors to enhance this idea.  The girl commercials, in general, were geared towards things traditionally girly: tinkly music, houses, cafe's, baking, hearts, animals.  All of these ideas were promoted by the colors of the girl Lego sets - pinks, purples, and any other pastel colors that look nice with them.  Something very interesting I noticed was the social aspect of the marketing.  Girls were always pictured together in the Lego Friends videos - from the beginning, all the way to the end.  In the boy Lego commercials, the boys were never actually shown playing.  The only "togetherness" you saw was from the Lego characters themselves - never in real life.  This certainly says something about how society views platonic relationships between males vs. those between females.

Gender Roles Influenced by Media
Now, I see nothing wrong with making "boy" and "girl" Legos, or other toys, for that matter.  It's the classification that creates the problem.  There are some who appreciate this difference.  I personally played with both types when I was younger.  For a long time they didn't have the ones made specifically for girls and I was perfectly content playing with the ones available - the Lego characters included girl figures, so I had everything I needed.  Then they came out with a set that I absolutely had to have - it was a "girl" set featuring a stable.  I'm not sure if it was truly the girl features that attracted me - I just liked the idea of having a stable.  I would have wanted the set regardless of which colors were presented in it.  But I do remember liking  the contrast of the "girly" Legos compared to the boring colors of the "boy" Legos.  I think it was more about having something different.

Something to note here is the fact that I was probably less affected than most when it came to marketing techniques and influence from the media because we really weren't allowed to watch TV when we were younger (that's a whole different story - I'll tell you about it sometime).  We played with both "boy" and "girl" toys without bias - we had barbies mixed right in with Hulk Hogan and the like.

This isn't the case with many kids though.  They are directed from a very young age by the images the media portray to them - and these images are further reinforced by their parents.  The message: Girls should be social butterflies who like to bake and do things in the home.  Boys shouldn't be so reliant on social relations.  Rather, they should focus on the "manly" things in life - like adventure and proving their manhood, etc.  As parents we need to actively engage our kids in conversations about these gender-stereotyped images presented to them in multiple ways.

Making Changes
We need to break down the barriers between "boy" and "girl" things in life.  Our kids should be able to do/play/act/think/feel anyway that is true to who they were born to be.  Some worry that if boys play with the feminine toys - or vice versa - that this act will influence their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

Let me provide you with living proof right now that this notion is completely unfounded.  My son always played with my daughter's ponies and dolls, and my daughter always played with my son's toys (including cars, Nerf guns, "boy" Legos, dinosaurs, etc).  I never said a word about them being "girl" or "boy" toys.  For a while, my son's favorite color was pink.  I never said a word about it being a "girl" color.  I have taught my son to cook and clean, the same as I am teaching my daughter how to cook and clean.  And both of my children are perfectly "normal" - as viewed by the outside world.  My theory in life is you should do what makes you happy - not what makes everybody else happy.

I am happy to see that this issue is becoming more prominent in society.  Barriers are being crossed in ways they never were before.  Disney is trying to break the mold and empower women.  ABC portrays the "Modern Family."  Granted, we still have a LONG way to go, but change is slowly but surely making its way into the media.  Though this slow change means parents need to take action - speak to your kids about gender roles/gender stereotypes.  Give them information that is on their level.  Here is a good article about this:
http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-stereotypes.html


No comments:

Post a Comment